As a student, you'll be asked to write various essays and papers over the course…
Many students across the world are tasked with writing opinion essays. These are papers that involve sharing your opinions about a topic. As simple as that may sound, there are many things you must keep in mind when writing an opinion essay. If you’re wondering how to start an opinion essay, this guide will go over everything you need to know.
What is an Opinion Essay?
The first thing you need to understand is what an opinion essay actually is. Once you know about the various elements, you’ll be able to tackle any paper whether you use a site that writes papers for you or decide to do so yourself. An opinion essay will ask students a question or give them a topic. They will have to answer the question and give their opinions on the subject matter. They should be able to express their ideas clearly and effectively. Sometimes, they may also be required to include references to support their point of view.
The purpose of an opinion essay is to let students share their ideas and articulate their thoughts. Whether this is to learn the English language or discuss sociopolitical issues, an opinion paper must be written from the perspective of the writer. Such an assignment is often given to English language learners as part of the IETLS program or something equivalent. Writing an opinion essay helps them learn the process of sharing their thoughts in a way that is easily understandable by others.
Key Requirements of an Opinion Essay
So, how to write an opinion essay, and which elements to be mindful of? Here are some of the main requirements and tips for writing an opinion essay:
- Look at some examples of such tasks before starting your own.
- Stay on topic and don’t beat around the bush. Keep your points simple and easy to understand.
- Plan your task before you begin it. Create a structure like you would for expository essays and you won’t have to worry about missing anything important.
- Have some references and pieces of evidence in case you have to support your perspective.
- Use formal language as well as formal punctuation.
- Don’t use internet slang.
- Think long and hard about your thesis. This is your main argument and gives the rest of your essay its direction.
Basic Opinion Essay Structure
Understanding essay structure is key to creating a high-quality task. While you can follow a standard format, beginners might find it difficult to get started. If you’ve ever completed some pros and cons essay writing, you should know how important it is to create a structured piece. So, let’s go over a basic structure that will help you with your task.
The opinion essay introduction is where you talk to your audience directly and briefly mention the subject matter. It is often a good idea to reference a book, a speech, or something similar in this opening section. Be sure to include the author’s or speaker’s name as well as the date of publication when you reference something.
When wondering how to write an opinion essay, give special attention to your thesis statement. This should be short and to the point so readers get the gist of your idea right away and recognize your stance on the topic. The thesis should summarize the complete paper and the ending sentence should link to the upcoming paragraph.
It is generally good to write at least 3 passages. Each of these should have a supporting argument for your stance, with an example and an explanation. Each passage’s last sentence should lead to the next passage. Similarly, the last line of the last passage should link to the conclusion.
This portion is the summary of your entire opinion piece. It shouldn’t repeat too much of what you’ve talked about but rather cap off your entire opinion in a few sentences. Your conclusion can also contain suggestions for the readers to inspire future action or thought.
Writing a Perfect Opinion Essay
You can write an opinion essay quite easily if you follow certain suggestions about the structure, the essay outline, and some other aspects. Let’s go over some important steps you can take to create an effective opinion task:
- Read the prompt carefully and multiple times. Make sure to understand the question being asked. You may want to discuss the topic with your teacher. Just like when you buy a qualitative admission essay from an online service, it is crucial to familiarize yourself with all the requirements before you begin typing. That way, you’ll be able to answer the required questions more effectively.
- Plan out your task before starting. Making a mind map is a great idea to keep all your thoughts about the subject matter in front of you.
- Read and reread your opinion paper draft and make improvements wherever possible. You can also ask someone else to go through it and get their honest feedback.
- Finally, finetune your text based on the feedback you’ve received. Make sure to go over everything carefully, add references and citations where needed, and include details of any authors or speakers whom you’ve taken some words from.
Once you follow all these tips, you’ll never have to wonder how to begin an opinion essay or finish it. Going through simple steps is crucial for everything from personal essay writing to this type of text. This way, you’ll soon realize that creating such a text is not complicated at all!
Opinion Essay Example
One of the biggest news stories these days is the severity of climate change. There are those who strongly speak for the need to change our lifestyles while others vehemently reject the phenomenon as a problem worth considering seriously. Naturally, many wonder if it’s an issue at all or not. I think it is, and I’ll try to explain why.
The first thing to note is the changes we see around us every day. Longer, hotter summers and harsher-than-ever winters are very clear signs that the climate is changing at a rapid pace. Just a few years ago, snow used to start falling in early November. Now, it does so near Christmas. During summer, the temperature would go up to 25 degrees Celsius. Now, it can reach up to 33 degrees. These are all indications that climate change is real, as opposed to what the naysayers believe.
The number of natural disasters the world faces each year is increasing at a staggering pace too. You can view this in multiple climate reports released by organizations like the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Other publicly-available information points to how this phenomenon is adversely affecting our lives.
In conclusion, I would say that it is very easy to see and feel climate change around us. This is a problem for all of us to recognize so we can work together and hopefully fix it for the next generations to come. With so many signs around us, how can anyone really deny the effects of climate change?
Dos and Don’ts of Writing an Opinion Essay
To write an excellent piece of text, here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Use formal language as with most academic tasks. Craft this piece as if you’re creating a speech. An important part of this is to avoid jargon and slang.
- Introduce the subject matter and your personal stance clearly. Use only the necessary phrases and facts to support your point.
- Focus on the main ideas you wish to elaborate on.
- Craft your text in the present tense.
- Check for plagiarism by using your free online plagiarism checking tool to ensure your work is unique and doesn’t get flagged by any software.
- Keep things short and simple so anyone who reads your text can understand it.
- Cite all your sources properly, keeping in mind the formatting requirements.
- Make sure your text flows naturally and logically. The readers should be able to follow your thoughts easily.
- Type from a personal perspective so your readers can feel connected to your words and view the subject the same way you do.
- Don’t use short forms of words. Contractions should be avoided.
- Don’t use any numbers that you can’t reference and provide supporting evidence for.
- Avoid abbreviations if they can be avoided.
- Don’t overuse sentences that are too short. You should express your thoughts in a detailed manner.
- Avoid using colloquial expressions as these can change over time and their meanings can become confusing.
- Don’t repeat the same arguments over and over again. If you have a number of facts that are similar, it’s a good idea to express them as a single argument.
The Bottom Line
Now you have learnt everything about writing an opinion essay. You can write a good essay for your paper. But, if you can still not master this skill, you can get professional college coursework help. Many websites are offering academic writing assistance to students on the internet today. Make your decision wisely.