The research paper is a difficult work because it should contain a new look at…
Abstract paragraph – a summary of the main ideas of the text; it’s not just a statement thought of the text, but also highlighting only the essential thoughts of work… Exceeding the volume of the text of the abstract is an inability to shrink and consistently expound a thought. Usually, it consists of several very brief, clear and expressive proposals, revealing, in the author’s opinion, the very essence of the research work. An abstract is a short list of key points of your entire research. Basically, abstracts can be called miniature versions of a student’s research work that should not contain more than 3/4 of the page and which usually involves a couple of crucial thoughts from each major part of a study. Usually, a standard abstract consists of:
- Title and Author Information;
This is what such paper should include. Below you will find more details of this work.
Advices On Writing An Abstract For Research Paper
Writing an abstract paragraph is an important part of this type of academic paper. Many students even consider hiring someone to get a professional research papers help. However, it is not that difficult to do it on your own. It’s important to spend enough time on writing because it’s going to attract the reader’s attention.
What is the purpose of this paper? A high-quality abstract allows a reader to get acquainted with your research in a short time and to determine whether it is worth to refer to the full text of the article. Text of an abstract should be as objective and meaningful as possible, criticism should not be given, secondary facts and information that is missing in an article, and also repeat the title of your work and use references to sources and abbreviations. What else to keep in mind? It is important to avoid unnecessary introductory phrases (“this article presents the results …”, “the author of the article is established …”). Keywords used in the description of an article should be reflected in the summary text.
What should it look like? Here are some basic requirements:
- It must accurately and adequately convey content of the original text;
- It should be short and contain only the most important and valuable information;
- Repetitions, detailed descriptions, and examples should be avoided;
- After reading your abstract, a person unfamiliar with your research must understand a basic thought of the original text;
- It is not allowed to quote the original text;
- Where possible, your text should be written in the present tense;
- Do not use personal pronouns to avoid confusion;
- Your text should not contain proposals that can be interpreted is ambiguous;
- Direct speech is reconstructed into an indirect speech;
- Personal opinion and self-assessment should not be included in your paper.
Abstract Section Of A Research Paper
In the process of writing an abstract for good research paper, it is necessary to rely on several basic rules. All material should be submitted in the form of accurate and accessible information. To reduce the volume and ease of use, shorter terms are allowed. In total, this abstract can be up to 15 percent of your main article and a structure of your abstract should be as follows:
Title and Author Information
Title and topic, the purpose of publication, and the subject of the presentation. How to start? You can begin with these words: this article is devoted to the topic (question or problem); the publication is the analysis, etc.
What else to include? Here are a few tips:
- Give the source data (the name of the source text, publishing info, what year it was published);
- Provide information about the author (name and surname, academic degree);
- Reveal meaning of the work’s title, which is devoted to (topic), in connection with what is written.
An Intro should be eye-catching. It should include a list of the main issues (problems, provisions) which is stated in the text and a short summary of what you’ve written.
Objectives of the model analysis:
- Justify the importance of selected questions (why these questions are important and interesting to the author of an abstract);
- Briefly convey what the author says on these issues by omitting illustrations, examples, figures, noting only their availability.
In this part, you define the work itself. What has been done and what methods have been used when writing your research work – briefly, you need to write a detailed description of your research.
Here you will give a description of the received knowledge/information, its relevance.
Here you will need to give a general conclusion about the importance of the whole topic or the problem of the research paper. In this part of the abstract, you can go beyond this text and associate parse issues with broader problems.
Research Paper Abstract Example
Study skills and students’ satisfaction with their performance positively affect their academic achievement. The current research was carried out to investigate the correlation of study skills with academic achievement among the medical and pharmacy students in 2013.
This descriptive-analytical study was conducted on 148 students of basic medical sciences and pharmacy through convenience sampling. Data were collected by a valid and reliable questionnaire, consisting of two sections: Demographic information and questions about daily study hours, study skills in six domains, and students’ satisfaction with study skills. Collected data sets were analyzed by SPSS-16 software.
The results obtained in a course of study have shown that 10.9% of students possess appropriate study skills; preparation for examination domain helped detect the minimum score. In addition, students’ Grade Point Average (GPA) of previous term (P=0.001, r=0.269), study skills, and their satisfaction with study skills (P=0.001, r=0.493) have shown a significantly positive correlation.
The study’s results have confirmed the fact that students’ study skills have to be improved. It is important to develop students’ study skills taking into account a considerable relationship discovered between their GPA, as an index of academic achievement, skills, and satisfaction. It is suggested to reinforce these skills, with a bigger emphasis on weaker domains.
Don’t forget about the next part – an annotated bibliography. Considering it, check out our bibliography writing service.